UI/UX and Graphic Design Consultant
August 2016 - present (1 year)
Divvi - a vision for the future of banking
- UX and visual design for mobile app and website.
- Designed interactive prototypes, graphic elements, mobile interfaces with Sketch and InVision.
- Ideated and wireframed future banking concepts.
- Produced a wireframe prototype of a new feature.
- UX design of new features for art trip planning.
Arts Access International
- Branding and UX design for a new company providing iOS apps for audio narration of live events for low-vision and blind users.
- Created wireframes for native iOS app.
- Designed complete rebrand--created new logo, iconography, brand guide, and web style guide.
- Created wireframes for website, delivered final assets, and produced style guide.
Sir Walter Raleigh Award
- Redesigned award for community appearance. My design was their contest winner.
Cary, NC (16 years)
SAS is a large, privately-held company that provides analytics, business intelligence, and data management software and services.
Picto: I designed and implemented a prototype for a data storytelling app as requested by the CTO/VP of R&D. Presented concepts to executives.
- Ideated and brainstormed new concepts for data exploration and analysis.
- Performed user research and contextual inquiry.
- Sketched/Post-It noted customer journey, affinity diagrams, and use cases.
- Created wireframes and interactive prototypes with Sketch and InVision.
Accelerator: I was hand-picked by the CTO/VP of R&D to create an internal Accelerator program. Goal was to investigate new product concepts, promote design thinking throughout R&D, and expand employee innovation and leadership skills.
- Designed the entire program from scratch based on Y-Combinator and Techstars.
- Designed and produced the WordPress site (wireframes, final assets, style guide).
- Worked with executives, HR, Legal, Marketing and Product Management to develop program.
- 25% of 13,000 worldwide employees visited site
- 65 concept submissions
- 13 concepts with patent potential
Simulation Studio: Windows client for managing complex data models. I designed and delivered an information architecture and overall design infrastructure to the development team to help establish their plan for moving from Windows to HTML5.
Principal User Experience Designer
April 2015 - October 2016
April 2014 - April 2015
Design system: I led and coordinated design, implementation and delivery of a new HTML5/CSS3 common component system to be used by all R&D products.
- Project management for delivery of new HTML5 component library.
- Worked in an Agile environment using Jira.
- Presented design strategy to executives, marketing creative director and other stakeholders to ensure alignment across the company.
- Managed creation of an accompanying WordPress design pattern library.
- Communicated progress of this work across the entire company via webinars, blogs, intranet web site.
Hired and managed a team of 13 UX/visual designers and CSS developers who supported 50+ shipping products. Technologies included HTML5/CSS3/LESS, native iOS and Android.
Established creative team building program of art field trips for CTO/VP of R&D and entire design team. This program was featured in the “Best Places to Work” application for three years.
April 2011 - April 2014
Visual brand strategy: I led a complete rebranding of the design framework based on the company’s move from Flex to HTML5, iOS and Android.
- Created design personas as a team to establish visual design strategy.
- Got buy-in from all stakeholders including executives, product management, marketing, and R&D leadership.
- Designed and delivered multiple themes to accommodate user preferences and accessibility requirements.
- Managed iOS and Android visual design process to ensure brand consistency across multiple platforms.
UI/UX/CSS: I was a working manager so I was also responsible for hands-on design projects.
- Data visualization: Created visual design specs for the SAS graph library of advanced data visualization components. Implemented design update in CSS style sheets.
- Components: Created UX/visual design specs for various components in the design system.
- Flex design system: Single-handedly maintained 120+ Flex CSS stylesheets that controlled over 30 shipping Flex products. I took on this responsibility so that my team could move on to HTML5 design work.
Hired and managed a team of 13 UX/visual designers and CSS developers who supported 50+ SAS shipping products and common UI frameworks. Technologies included HTML/CSS, Dojo, Flex, and SAS ODS.
Established “BIRD’s Eye View” lecture series by request of the VP of R&D. Lecturers included artists, game level designers, professors, and local entrepreneurs.
Senior Systems Developer
September 2005 - April 2011
Designed and supported custom deployment tools. Expert knowledge of the SAS software planning and installation data.
Senior User Experience Designer
September 2000 - September 2005
Planning App: Designed and supported a custom deployment tool.
- Created wireframes for new features, implemented design, usability tested features with users, created graphic assets, maintained CSS style sheets.
- Worked in an Agile environment.
- Expert knowledge of the SAS software planning and installation data.
Columbia, SC, 1998-2000 (2 years). Designed web-based home health care software.
Coral Springs, FL, 1995-1998 (3 years). Designed B2B web-based software for a music distributor.
- Design management and leadership
- Innovation program creation
- Creative team building
- Design thinking
- UX/visual design for enterprise software
- Graphic design and branding
- Sketch, InVision, Illustrator, Adobe CS
- Interactive prototypes, style guides, wireframing
- Mobile design, software design, web design, user interface design
2016 Graphic Design - Coursera specialization certificate
California Institute of the Arts, 2016
Innovation and Entrepreneurship - Coursera specialization certificate
University of Maryland, 2015
Master of Fine Arts - Drama Design, Media and Technology
University of Georgia, 1995
Bachelor of Music - Major: Music Engineering, Minor: Electrical Engineering
University of Miami, 1990