I have over 20 years of experience in enterprise software UI/UX design and design management.
UI/UX and Graphic Design Consultant
August 2016 - present (1 year)
Divvi - a vision for the future of banking
- UX and visual design for mobile app and website.
- Designed interactive prototypes, graphic elements, mobile interfaces with Sketch and InVision.
- Ideated and wireframed future banking concepts.
- Produced a wireframe prototype of a new feature.
- UX design of new features for art trip planning.
Arts Access International
- Branding and UX design for a new company providing iOS apps for audio narration of live events for low-vision and blind users.
- Created wireframes for native iOS app.
- Designed complete rebrand--created new logo, iconography, brand guide, and web style guide.
- Created wireframes for website, delivered final assets, and produced style guide.
Sir Walter Raleigh Award
- Redesigned award for community appearance. My design was their contest winner.
Cary, NC (16 years)
SAS is a large, privately-held company that provides analytics, business intelligence, and data management software and services.
Designed innovative product prototypes as requested by the CTO/VP of R&D. Presented concepts to executives.
Hand picked by the CTO/VP of R&D to create an internal Accelerator program. The goal was to investigate new product concepts, promote design thinking throughout R&D, and expand employee innovation and leadership skills.
Worked with executives, HR, Legal, Marketing and Product Management to develop program.
- 25% of 13,000 worldwide employees visited web site
- 65 concept submissions
- 13 concepts with patent potential
Principal User Experience Designer
April 2015 - October 2016
April 2014 - April 2015
Hired and managed a team of visual designers and CSS developers who supported 50+ shipping products and common UI frameworks. Technologies included HTML5, CSS3/LESS, native iOS and Android. Company was moving many core products to SaaS which required new information architecture and UX patterns.
Established creative team building program of art field trips for CTO/VP of R&D and entire design team. This program was featured in the “Best Places to Work” application for three years.
Single-handedly maintained over 40 Flex CSS stylesheets that controlled over 30 shipping Flex products. I took on this responsibility so that my team could move on to HTML5 design work.
April 2011 - April 2014
Hired and managed a team of visual designers and CSS developers who supported 50+ SAS shipping products and common UI frameworks. Technologies included HTML/CSS, Dojo, Flex, and SAS ODS.
Established “BIRD’s Eye View” lecture series by request of the VP of R&D. Lecturers included artists, game level designers, professors, and local entrepreneurs.
Senior Systems Developer
September 2005 - April 2011
Designed and supported custom deployment tools. Expert knowledge of the SAS software planning and installation data.
Senior User Experience Designer
September 2000 - September 2005
UX and visual design for multiple SAS products, including Portal, BI reporting clients, and ETL clients. Technologies included HTML/CSS, Java clients, Windows clients, and Flex.
Columbia, SC, 1998-2000 (2 years). Designed web-based home health care software.
Coral Springs, FL, 1995-1998 (3 years). Designed B2B web-based software for a music distributor.
- Design management and leadership
- Innovation program creation
- Creative team building
- Design thinking
- UX/visual design for enterprise software
- Graphic design and branding
- Sketch, InVision, Illustrator, Adobe CS
- Interactive prototypes, style guides, wireframing
- Mobile design, software design, web design, user interface design
2016 Graphic Design - Coursera specialization certificate
California Institute of the Arts, 2016
Innovation and Entrepreneurship - Coursera specialization certificate
University of Maryland, 2015
Master of Fine Arts - Drama Design, Media and Technology
University of Georgia, 1995
Bachelor of Music - Major: Music Engineering, Minor: Electrical Engineering
University of Miami, 1990