I am a senior UI/UX designer and design manager with over 20 years of experience in creating enterprise software. My areas of expertise include:
- Design management and leadership
- Innovation program creation
- Creative team building
- Design thinking
- Prototype design and production
- UX and visual design for enterprise software
- Graphic design and branding
- More details about my skills here
The intersection of art and technology has always been my happy place.
I majored in music engineering as an undergrad because I love music and I was pretty good at calculus and physics. In grad school, I studied technical theater because I wanted to do sound design and I liked hanging around the creative drama people.
When I was done with school in 1995, and the web was just getting started, my Photoshop and BBEdit skills meant that I could get a job making web sites.
Over 20 years later, I am an expert in designing enterprise software and managing design teams. I still like grappling with the mix of art and technology in the work I do.
And I still like hanging out with creative people who challenge the status quo and prove that enterprise software can be delightful, elegant and usable.
Some things I'm obsessed with at the moment:
- Devoured the first chapter of the upcoming book "The Power of Moments" by the Heath brothers
- All of Mr. Rogers' sweaters tracked in what looks like a Gene Davis stripe painting
- Sister Corita Kent's full archive has been digitized
- Jaquard weaving by designer/musician Aya Kawabata
- Finally saw the Yayoi Kusama show at the Hirshhorn. It lived up to the hype. Brilliant!
- A fun new side project I started to help encourage women in tech: A Woman's Place Is in the Code
- "A Masked Ball" by Yinka Shonibare M.B.E. is currently showing at 21c Durham. The colors of the Dutch wax fabrics made me swoon.
- Impatiently waiting for my copy of the Bolted Book to arrive
Past obsessions but still lodged in the recesses of my brain:
- Currently devouring John Maeda's Design in Tech 2017 Report
- I loved being introduced to the artist Thomas Bayrle at ICA in Miami
- Crochet Coral Reef: TOXIC SEAS at the Museum of Arts and Design. I was in my happy, happy place at this exhibit.
- Norwood Viviano's art work that combines blown glass and data visualization. Swoon.
- Designing Your Life. When I grow up I want to go to Stanford d.school.
- Southern Accent at the Nasher Museum of Art. So many profound ideas here, I can't wait to go back.
- This Michael Chabon story about his young son who already knows what he's all about.
- Hopscotch Design Festival. I'm still thinking about what I heard and learned. I love this event!
- Hamilton. Duh. I have seen it twice. Once with the original cast. Don't hate me.